Friday, May 8, 2020

First Page Friday - Fifteen Fantastic Picture Books

Alright, I know I'm a children's librarian, so it makes sense that I love picture books. But they're so good, I honestly don't know why more adults don't read them. In the hopes that maybe this list will inspire some of you to read more of them, this week I have for you a list of fifteen (ish...don't count them, I definitely cheated) of my favorite picture books!



Cake by Sue Hendra

Cake has just been invited to his first ever party, and he is so excited! He wants everything to go just right, so he goes shopping for the perfect hat to wear. Then when Cake gets to the party...things don't go exactly as planned.

The Cow Loves Cookies by Karma Wilson

This one is a rhyming book about what kinds of food all of Farmer's animals eat, culminating in the big reveal of why the cow loves cookies! There's also a special appearance by one of my favorite picture book animals, the duck.

Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen

This is a beautifully illustrated story about a little girl and her magic box of yarn. And it's about knitting, so of course I love it. 😉

Hangry by Drew Brockington

What happens when a little monster is craving a hot dog from his favorite spot but can't get one? He gets HANGRY! I identify pretty strongly with that little monster, so I loved this one the moment I saw the cover.

Hooray for Hat! by Brian Won

Elephant is feeling grumpy one day when a lovely surprise arrives - a box full of hats! One by one, he visits his friends, sharing the joy that awesome hats can bring. I love this book so much that I even made a felt version of the story!

I'm Bored by Michael Ian Black

What happens when a bored little girl discovers a talking potato? Read and find out!

Llama Destroys the World by Jonathan Stutzman

On Monday, Llama discovers a pile of cake and, of course, eats it all. He doesn't know it, but by the end of the week, this will result in the destruction of the world. What do you think might happen if he discovers a pile of pies?

Polar Bear's Underwear by Tupera Tupera

I mean...it's about underwear. Underwear is funny.

Press Here by Herve Tullet

I'm a sucker for a good interactive story, and this is one of the best! You start off with a yellow dot on the page, and who knows what might happen if you press it? Read and find out, my friends. Mix It Up is also excellent.

Quackers by Liz Wong

We covered in The Cow Loves Cookies that I have a thing for ducks in picture books, and here you are. Another duck book. Meet Quackers, an adorable duck who is one of a kind. So one of a kind, in fact, that some of the other ducks don't even think he's a duck! But if he isn't a duck...then what is he?

Square, Triangle, and Circle by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen

Busted, this is three books! Yep, you got me. This is possibly my favorite picture book series in the universe. Once again, Jon Klassen's illustrations are magic, and Mac Barnett is so funny, I can hardly handle it. These books are existential and hilarious, and I love them.

Stegothesaurus by Bridget Heos

Stegothesaurus sometimes has a hard time getting along with the other stegosauruses, so he is thrilled when an equally verbose allothesaurus befriends him! Until he discovers their friendship may not be what it seems.

There's a Dragon/Monster/Elf in Your Book by Tom Fletcher

Wait...is this another three books in one? BUSTED. These are more of my favorite interactive books, and they hold a special place in my heart because after sending a copy of There's a Dragon in Your Book to my niece for her second birthday in April, I've read it to her over video chat a few times, and it makes my heart grow three sizes Grinch-style every time I do. Plus, come on. Who doesn't love a cute baby dragon/monster/elf?

This is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

By now you might be wondering...does Dewey have a thing for Jon Klassen and Mac Barnett? I SURE DO! I had to stop myself from making this a list of my top twenty faves and including even more of their books...but I resisted. Y'all, this book. I cackle every time I read it. It starts off following a tiny fish who stole a big fish's hat and is now making a getaway. What happens to the little fish when Mr. Big Fish realizes he stole the hat...made my mom question whether this book was appropriate for children. 🤣

Why? - Adam Rex

Super Villain Dr. X-Ray launches his evil attack on a mall, but his plans immediately start to go awry when a little girl shopping with her mom has a question for him..."why?"

No comments:

Post a Comment