Sunday, November 4, 2018

A series of brief reviews

Life has been coming at me fast recently, with trying to complete a certificate in early childhood education while also going in for a series of interviews that have now resulted in me starting a new job for the first time in (gulp) more than five years. Consequently, I haven't had the mental bandwidth to post as many book reviews as I would like to. It's heartbreaking, I know. To prove that I'm still reading and tide us over, I thought I would post some of the books on my currently reading list and give an overview of how I'm liking them. Buckle up! I'm not a monogamous reader.

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

"It occurs to me suddenly why the pair of them may be lounging in the middle of the day, and I freeze, blushing before I have confirmation of my suspicions. 'Oh no. Am I interrupting something marital and romantic?'

'Felicity, please, it's six in the evening,' Monty says with great indignance, then adds, 'We've been fornicating all day.'"

Uh, yeah. I'm like two chapters in and already love this every bit as much as I enjoyed The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. Mackenzi Lee, you're a wonder. Please never stop writing books.

Wildcard by Marie Lu

Much like the first book in this duology, Warcross, I want to love this but I don't. Everything about the premise is appealing, and after finishing Warcross I was dying to know what the deal with Zero was, but I just can't get into it. I don't know if it's the pace or what, but meh...I feel like I'm slogging through this one.

Pride by Ibi Zoboi

I wasn't exactly head-over-heels for Ibi Zoboi's American Street, but I have high hopes for this one! I'm a sucker for retellings of Pride and Prejudice, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

The Fates Divide by Veronica Roth

Awwww, yes! I didn't review Carve the Mark, but it was a solid 4 stars for me on Goodreads, and I was dying to get my hands on this one. I'm a little over 2/3 of the way through, and ohhh boy, it is all the adventure, action, and intrigue that I had hoped it would be.

Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

This one is a re-read for me (or a re-listen, I suppose, since I'm listening to the audiobook), and I will never tire of revisiting this series. Every time I do I love it more. If you're a fan of badass chicks, vibrant characters, and adventures in space, pick these up.

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Another reread and another series I will never tire of revisiting. I just want Jace to be happy!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's try this again logged in:

    This isn't your review of Pride, but I was kinda shocked when I found out you didn't really like it much. I loved it. I felt like the fact that it was based on P&P was enough for me to not need a lot of the build up to the character connections. I superimposed the originals into these characters and that made the book work for me. I really enjoyed that it was putting the P&P concept into a different perspective than the white world I am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I read Pride to Joel, and I'm really wondering if that was part of why I didn't like it. It takes us a long time to finish books sometimes, and this seems like a book that I might enjoy more if I just sat and read it in a few days. I've been debating re-reading it on my own to see if I like it more, especially because I was really looking forward to it before it came out!

      Delete