Friday, January 3, 2020

Four Dead Queens - Astrid Scholte

The inaugural #FirstPageFriday of the year! Can it be inaugural if I've already been doing #FirstPageFridays for a while? Who knows...who cares? Hopefully none of you. I've been waiting to read Four Dead Queens for a while, so I am pumped about this review. Also, I'm changing up the way I post and just posting my reviews on Friday, so y'all don't have to remember to check back. Woo! So, first things first, take in this gorgeous cover.


My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

From the cover:

"Seventeen-year-old Keralie Corrington may seem harmless, but in fact, she's one of Quadara's most skilled thieves and a liar. Varin, on the other hand, is an honest, upstanding citizen of Quadara's most enlightened region, Eonia. Varin runs afoul of Keralie when she steals a package from him, putting his life in danger. When Varin attempts to retrieve the package, he and Keralie find themselves entangled in a conspiracy that leaves all four of Quadara's queens dead.

With no other choices and on the run from Keralie's former employer, the two decide to join forces, endeavoring to discover who has killed the queens and save their own lives in the process. When their reluctant partnership blooms into a tenuous romance, they must overcome their own dark secrets in hopes of a future together that seemed impossible just days before. But first they have to stay alive and untangle the secrets behind the nation's four dead queens."


AHHH! I give this book an extremely enthusiastic five stars. It's off to the races from page one (seriously, my first note is "I mean, I know it's called Four Dead Queens, but it got so real so fast!), and it does not let up. The character development, the plot twists, the world-building...

Image result for chef's kiss gif
Chef's kiss!

Mackiel creeps me out from the jump, I might be a little in love with Varin, and I for sure have a tiny lady crush on Keralie. I stayed up way past my bedtime trying to figure out what was happening, and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. This book was so unputdownable, I read it on the way to the grocery store with my husband, and when there was a line at the butcher I seriously contemplated pulling it out to read more while we waited. IT'S. SO. GOOD. I wish I could gush more without including spoilers, because all I want to do now that I've finished it is talk about this book, but no way am I ruining the mystery for other readers. Go read it. Experience it. Message me along the way and let me know what you think. Drop a comment with your thoughts. The messaging and commenting is optional - reading the book is not!

No comments:

Post a Comment