Friday, May 29, 2020

The Cousins - Karen M. McManus

My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

From the cover:

"Milly, Aubrey, and Jonah Story are cousins, but they barely know each another, and they've never even met their grandmother. Rich and reclusive, she disinherited their parents before they were born. So when they each receive a letter inviting them to work at her island resort for the summer, they're surprised . . . and curious.

Their parents are all clear on one point--not going is not an option. This could be the opportunity to get back into Grandmother's good graces. But when the cousins arrive on the island, it's immediately clear that she has different plans for them. And the longer they stay, the more they realize how
 mysterious--and dark--their family's past is.

The entire Story family has secrets. Whatever pulled them apart years ago isn't over--and this summer, the cousins will learn everything."

I was stoked when I got an advanced copy of this book to read, because I love Karen M. McManus, and WHEW, let me tell you, she has done it again! Right off the bat we get into it with the discovery that Milly, Aubrey, and Jonah's uber-rich grandmother very abruptly cut their parents off with a mysterious one-lined letter - "You know what you did."

Uh, yeah. I'm hooked! What did they do, y'all? I must know!

As more pieces of the story came together, I cycled through a variety of theories, and I was pretty proud of myself when one of my theories ended up being half right - nailed it! Sort of. Basically.
   
How the U.S. Gymnastics Team Crushed the Russians: A GIF Guide ...

I don't even want to talk about the book itself for fear of saying something that accidentally gives away part of the mystery and ruining it for someone else, so let me just say that Karen McManus's super power seems to be writing ending scenes that are so intense they force a gasped "OH SHIT!" out of me as I read. Seriously, it's 4/4 at this point. Karen knows how to put pedal to the metal when the mystery starts coming to a head and then not let up until the final pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment