Friday, November 6, 2020

The Accident Season - Moira Fowley-Doyle

 My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

From the cover:

"The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear. But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?"

As I'm sure is the case with many people, I'm having a hard time concentrating on anything but election results at the moment, but since I didn't post last week (😬sorry, I ended up working 6 days last week, my brain was very tired), I didn't want to miss this Friday too. I was thinking about what book I could review and lamenting to myself that I had already reviewed The Accident Season, because I just finished reading it again and it was fresh in my mind. Then I thought, "wait a second, have I reviewed The Accident Season?" And...I haven't. Which. How did that happen?

Anyway...here we are, and at long last, I'm reviewing it. I first discovered this book in October of 2016, perfect timing to read it during the accident season. I read it, fell in love, and I've read it every October since then. I highly, highly recommend listening to the audiobook, because while I enjoy both, there's something about the audio that just makes it that much better. 

No matter how many times I listen to The Accident Season, it never fails to give me chills. From the changelings and the wolves to the mystery surrounding Elsie being in all of Cara's pictures to the accident season itself...whew. It all gets me. I love Cara and Bea and their witchy ways, everything about Sam, Alice in all her exasperated practicality. And the story has the perfect amount of unexplained supernatural weirdness tied in with realistic fiction. I know I said I read it every October, but why wait? Give it a listen now!

No comments:

Post a Comment