Saturday, January 1, 2022

New Year, Same Me

Well, well, well, what have we here...time, while a construct, continues to march on, and we are now in 2022. Given the rousing successes that my 2021 reading challenges ended up being (and by "rousing successes" I mean I barely finished both, but I fuckin did it, didn't I?!), I decided to carry that momentum into what will hopefully be a better year than the last couple. Even if it isn't, I guess at least I'll come out of it having read some good books.

Anyhoo...reading challenges. I'm making the switch from Goodreads to StoryGraph (bold, I know), and instead of choosing a reading goal for the whole year like I have the past few years, I'm going to do the StoryGraph monthly challenges. January's challenge: Read at least one page a day. Already read a chapter this morning, so I'm crushing it so far!

I'll also be doing Book Riot's Read Harder challenge again, and this time instead of choosing a couple books at a time, I spent my new year's eve the way all cool kids spend it...choosing books for each challenge. I'll still be aiming to complete two challenges each month, but I'm going to jump around this year instead of going in order. Ready for January's challenges?


#9: Read the book that's been on your TBR the longest: 

CALLED OUT. For this challenge, I will be reading The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, which has been on my to be read list since July 31st, 2015. Which isn't entirely fair because this is the first book in a series, which means I'll actually be reading the SERIES that has been on my TBR the longest, which is exactly why it was still on my TBR...but here we go. It's on now, Book Riot.


#18: Read a "Best _____ Writing of the year" book for a topic and year of your choice:

Look...I should be more plugged in with book awards, but I'm not. Pretty much the only time I pay attention to awards is when I'm teaching them to students or when I see an award announcement on Twitter and am like "yay, good job!" Could I have googled around and found a cool best whatever list? Totally. Did I? No. I picked one of the reader's choice awards from the Goodreads 2020 awards...coincidentally, one that I got last year for my birthday and still haven't read! What book is this, you ask? House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas.


Which books would you choose for each of these challenges?

3 comments:

  1. Oh I like the StoryGraph January challenge! Last year my main focus was on reading a little bit everyday, even if it was only a paragraph. :)

    For #9 it would be On The Come Up by Angie Thomas (yes, I still haven't read that!)
    For #18 it would be Luster by Raven Leilani which is also on my TBR list and I just learned via Google was a 2021 National Book Critics Circle Award Winner for Best First Book in Any Genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too! I tend to read a lot in bursts and not much in between, so trying to do a little bit every day is nice.

      OMG read On the Come Up already!

      Luster is on my TBR too - hell yeah, good choice!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete