Thursday, December 22, 2022

Reading Harder - Just over a week left

It's been a minute since my last update, so here we are again! I finished Maus, something everyone should read. Very emotional, very powerful. My hold for While Justice Sleeps came in again, and I did successfully finish reading it, although I came very close to having to put it on hold again. It was an okay read, but for a political thriller, it was not very compelling...solid premise, strong characters, but kind of dry. The reader didn't know the finer points of what was going on, but you know the entire time who the bad guy is and what they're planning, so it fell a little flat for me, reading about the main character trying to unravel what's going on and not having anything to guess at myself.

Anyway, that's two down, two to go for the year. I've been working my way through Powers and Thrones (the physical copy, because seriously, this book is huge) and am about halfway done. It's interesting, but also so much information, so I can only read so much of it at a time before I have to take a break so my brain can recover. I just finished reading about the Crusades, and honestly, fuck the Crusades.

My last hold of the year, The Taking of Jake Livingston, came in a couple days ago, and I'm roughly halfway through that too. A bit of a trip, one of those books that you read and are like "okay, wait, what is real and what is not? Is any of this actually happening?" Not so terrifying that I can't handle it, though, so that's something! I'll probably finish this in the next day or so, and then I guess we'll see if I make it through Powers and Thrones by the end of the year! Can I do it? I have my doubts.

Either way, I'll share an update in 2023, and I'll be putting together my list for next year, so I'll have that too. Some of the prompts seem interesting, although there are others (i.e. Read a book you DNFed) that I am...less thrilled about. I don't DNF lightly, so I may double up on another challenge and skip that one. As for the others...we'll see what I come up with!


No comments:

Post a Comment