Sunday, April 30, 2023

April Read Harder update

Whoa, a quarter of the way through the year! Wait, a third! I'm very good at math. 

Finding Me was very emotional and, frankly, an indictment of the lack of social supports in the United States. Reading about Viola Davis and her family's experiences, I just kept thinking about all the kids growing up like Viola did, hoping that someone will look their way or some miracle will come along and change things for them, and how as a society we're still failing them as badly as we were then.  

Wake: The Hidden History of Women-Led Slave Revolts was also emotional. The artwork was incredible, and Rebecca Hall not only uncovered overlooked historical events, she shone a light on how truth is erased from history ("you think you are reading an accurate chronicle written at the time...but if who we are and what we care about are deemed irrelevant, it won't be in there..."). This is a must-read.

📗📗📗

Now it's time for May challenges, baby! We've got #9, read an independently published book by a BIPOC author, and #10, read a book you know nothing about based solely on the cover. Easy choices! (Just kidding, they weren't.)

#9. Read an independently published book by a BIPOC author: I ended up googling recommendations from public libraries for this one and settled on Cupid Calling by Viano Oniomoh. Queer romance! Reality show! What more could one ask for?

#10. Read a book you know nothing about based solely on the cover: So at first I was like uhh this is hard to narrow down. I mean, I am a librarian. I work around books, I buy books for my school's collection, I subscribe to publisher updates...I see so many book covers, and it has been well established that I love a good book cover! So then I was like okay, think logically. Easiest way to narrow this down? Go to a bookstore! Browse! Buy the first book I see with a cover that makes me go "ooooooooh, intriguing" and read that. And then I realized that this plan was a meme.

Meme of a man (labeled "me") walking with his girlfriend (labeled "books I haven't read") turns back to look in admiration at a woman walking the other way (labeled "new books")

Fortunately, I went to a bookstore in January to shop for my school collection, and while I was there I did a little personally shopping as well, purchasing a duology based solely on the covers! So for this challenge, I'll be reading Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko. I'll add to my TBR pile later. 

2 comments:

  1. There's a meme for everything! Raybearer looks SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it? I'm very excited to get into it.

      Delete