Sunday, June 25, 2023

June Read Harder update

First update of the summer! Reading a cookbook and reading a history book. One of those continues to  make a lot more sense to me than the other. I DID successfully read my vegetarian Mexican food cookbook cover to cover, though, and I've got a few recipes saved to try. Did I gain anything from it that I wouldn't have gained by just looking through the index for things that sounded good? No. But hey, all it cost me was some time. As far as my history book, The 1619 Project is pretty hefty, and I don't want to rush through it to say that I did it, so after recognizing that I decided to swap in one of the books I had planned for July and keep working on The 1619 Project next month.

The book I swapped was The Canyon's Edge by Dusti Bowling, which I chose for challenge 13, read an author local to you. Dusti Bowling has been on my radar for longer than I'd care to think about, and The Canyon's Edge is a nominee for the 2024 Grand Canyon Reader award, so not only did I finally read one of her books, but it's also a book I plan on book talking with my students next school year. Now I'm more prepared for that! I'm planning to write a full review for it, so I'll just say here that I thought it was excellent. For a good chunk of it, I was even live texting my husband what was happening. Great read!


πŸ“—πŸ“™πŸ“˜πŸ“™πŸ“—


Now, July challenges! I decided to pick extra since I'll have more time over the summer, and if I don't finish them all, at least I'll have them picked out and ready for August.

#14: Read a book with under 500 Goodreads ratings

To my shock, Amira & Hamza: The War to Save the Worlds has fewer than 500 ratings! I've had this book sitting in my Read This Then Add It To the Library pile for a very long time, so it looks like July is the month to knock books of my BILF (Books I'd Like to Finish) list. Amira & Hamza, here we come.


#15: Read a historical fiction book set in an Eastern country

Oooh, this was a hard one for me to narrow down...I don't know if this really counts as a historical fiction, but I'm going with These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong. In an ongoing theme, I have it on my BILF shelf in our front room, and I've been waiting forever to read it, so I'm going for it. I've got a couple of other options I'm planning to request from the library as backups in case I get started and decide it isn't historical fiction-y enough, but I think it'll be a good choice.


#16: Read a romance with bisexual representation

Okay, I'm going to need the ability to filter further than "LGBTQIA" on my BILF list, because it's really time-consuming to look through every book on my list to see if it has bi representation. Plus, more importantly, while it's great to have so much queer representation in books, when everything queer falls under one umbrella, it may look like great representation but it ends up being great representation for a few groups and a book here or there for others. Anyway, I'll be reading Flip the Script by Lyla Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment