Sunday, March 17, 2019

Grace and Fury - Tracy Banghart

My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

From the cover: 

"In a world where women have no rights, sisters Serina and Nomi Tessaro face two very different fates: one in the palace, the other in prison.

Serina has been groomed her whole life to become a Grace - someone to stand by the heir to the throne as a shining, subjugated example of the perfect woman. But when her headstrong and rebellious younger sister, Nomi, catches the heir's eye, it's Serina who takes the fall for the dangerous secret that Nomi has been hiding.

Now trapped in a life she never wanted, Nomi has only one way to save Serina: surrender to her role as a Grace until she can use her position to release her sister. This is easier said than done. A traitor walks the halls of the palace, and deception lurks in every corner. But Serina is running out of time, imprisoned on an island where she must fight to the death to survive and one wrong move could cost her everything."


💭💭💭


I've had this book sitting on my nightstand for months, and for one reason or another (aka other books that demanded to be read) I kept putting it off. Now that I have finally read it, I'm glad I did. Why? Because the second half of this duology doesn't come out until FRIGGIN JULY, and I don't know if I can wait that long.

That's right...after months of delaying picking this book up, when I finally did, I read it in two sittings. I wanted to finish it the night I started reading, but I had to work the following day, and the smart part of me that didn't want to be a zombie running three programs finally forced the rest of me to put the book down halfway through. Even after I did, though, it took me forever to fall asleep because I could not stop thinking about Serina and Nomi. This book stays with you.

In the kingdom of Viridia, it is illegal for women to read. If they want work, they can find it in a factory working as a seamstress, as a wife or a housekeeper, or they can work to become a Grace, one of the women chosen to serve as companions to the Superior, ruler of Viridia. Serina has trained her entire life to become a Grace. She is demure, gentle, and polite, and she has a plan--become the Head Grace, spare her mother from difficult factory labor, and keep the rest of her family safe. Nomi, Serina's headstrong, rebellious younger sister, makes the journey to Bellaqua with her to serve as Serina's handmaid. She also has a plan--find a way to escape Viridia and live somewhere with more freedom. 

After a run-in with the Superior's heir, both sisters' plans are turned upside down when the Heir, choosing his own Graces for the first time, selects Nomi, not Serina, to serve as his companion. Both young women are still reeling from this decision when Serina is caught holding a book and sentenced to Mount Ruin, a prison for the kingdom's most dangerous, violent women. Within hours, each sister finds herself alone, thrust into an environment she is unprepared for, in completely over her head. 

Will Serina, dubbed "Dead Girl" by one of the guards upon her arrival at Mount Ruin, live up to the name, or will she toughen up and learn to fight for her survival? Will Nomi's fierce spirit be tamed and broken by the Superior and his Heir, or will she succeed in navigating the intricacies of being a Grace and find a way to save her sister? If you react to this book the way I did, you'll get some answers pretty quickly...but maybe learn from my experience and wait until a little closer to July to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment