Sunday, March 24, 2019

Rapidfire Reviews

or, a touch more accurately, first impressions?

I've been recovering from surgery for the past week, and as cabin fever set in and I started getting more and more stir-crazy, I also started reading a bunch of different books at once. Why do I read multiple books at the same time instead of sticking with one and finishing it more quickly? I don't know. But since I am, here are five (and a half) of my first impressions for you:


On the Come Up - Angie Thomas

I love that it's set in the same world as The Hate U Give, and I'm enjoying the alternate perspective of growing up in Garden Heights. I'm reading this one out loud to my husband, and we're both into it so far, although as an incredibly white person I should 1000% not be reading this book aloud. Joel literally claps his hands with glee every time I get to a part where Bri raps because he can't wait to laugh at me.


Queen of Air and Darkness - Cassandra Clare

Fine, this is a re-read, so it isn't actually first impressions, but when I read the series before it was first book when it came out...wait a long time...second book when it came out...wait a long time...finally, third book! So this is the first read through where I actually remember all the details from previous books. That said, while I love this series (Ty has my heart forever), this might be my least favorite of the trilogy. I have theories, though. One theory, specifically. And I need more books to come out so I can find out if I'm right.

Sidenote: There have been multiple uses of "fire wants to burn" which is also used in the Magisterium series, which Clare writes with Holly Black. Irrelevant to the story and my enjoyment thereof, but interesting nonetheless. Also, bonus "review" since I recently finished the audiobook of the The Silver Mask...that series is a little more meh for me. Character development is lacking, the plot meanders and nothing much actually happens. I've read Holly Black before, and obviously I've read Cassandra Clare, and the Magisterium series just doesn't stand up against their other work. So uh...there you have it. End of tangent.


Mirage - Somaiya Daud

This book is making me stay up past my bedtime. The world-building, cultural detail, themes...ugh, just endlessly glorious. Read this, it's a good one.


Shadow of the Fox - Julie Kagawa

This one is a bit of a slower burn for me, but I'm intrigued by the Japanese mythology and looking forward to getting deeper into the story.


Saints and Misfits - S.K. Ali

Into this story, not into the narrator of the audiobook. I'm powering through because I need to know what happens, but I wish they had picked a reader who varied their tone and inflection based on what was happening in the story. If you're interested, go with the book, not the audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment