Sunday, February 5, 2023

Whiteout - Dhonielle Clayton, et al

Initial Draw: ☆☆☆☆☆
Character Development: ☆☆☆☆
Plot/Writing Style: ☆☆☆☆☆
Overall: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


From the cover:

"A snowstorm like this hits Atlanta only once every hundred years. As the city grinds to a halt, a group of teens band together to help a friend pull off the most epic apology of her life. But will they be able to make it happen, in spite of the storm?

A mall full of holiday spirit...and a confession under the twinkling lights.

A deserted aquarium...and secrets that keep bubbling to the surface.

A stalled road trip...and a car full of bittersweet memories melting in the ice.

A whole city blanketed in snow...being warmed from the inside out.

No one is prepared for this whiteout. But then, we can't always prepare for the magical moments that change everything."

 

I just finished this book, and it took me on a journey. I don't know if this will be a real REVIEW review, but I'm going to share my thoughts as they come in, riding on the waves of sadness over finishing a lovely book and wishing I could be in it for just a little longer, even though that isn't how books work.

I understand why we couldn't, but I wish we got more time with each character. Most of them are so loveable, the ones that I had moments of hesitation about I feel like it was just because I didn't have much time to get to know them, and also, like I said, I want to live in this world for a little longer. Please? 

I got so frustrated with some of the miscommunications and overreactions and indecisiveness, but only because it was SO true to teenage life, and it weirdly made me nostalgic for when I was that age, even though you could not pay me enough to deal with all that angst again. Like, Evan-Rose? So many crushes, so little time...I empathize, E.R. I remember the days where I had multiple crushes and was like oh god, is something wrong with me? I like more than one person? How can feelings be real if you feel them for more than one person? It messes with you.

The morale of basically every story in this book is that open and honest communication is key. Talk to each other, friends. It will always bring more clarity than avoiding people and stewing.

I can't decide if Jimi and Teo's story is my favorite or Ava and Mason's. Or Jordyn and Omari's.

I hope this author group writes more books together. I will read them all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm still working my way through this one. But I loved Blackout, so I suspect I'll love this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say I think it lacked a little of the sense of urgency from Blackout, but it was still very cute and enjoyable!

      Delete