Monday, July 17, 2023

Grand Canyon Reader nominees!

My favorite part of each school year is talking about that year's Grand Canyon Reader nominees with my students and then seeing which books they vote for throughout the voting period. I love trying to guess which titles will be popular, and while sometimes I'm right on the money, there are always one or two surprise frontrunners that I never would have expected. I've been trying to read as many nominees as I can in order to make more informed guesses, so I'm going to put share lists of nominees for each category and see how many books from each list I can read this school year. Let's start with...picture books!

Collage of covers from list of picture books included in text below

The 1619 Project: Born on the Water by Nikole Hannah-Jones and Renee Watson

Cat Problems by Jory John

Change Sings by Amanda Gorman

Fatima's Great Outdoors by Ambreen Tariq

Flashlight Night by Elisabeth Hasselbeck

I Don't Want to Read This Book by Max Greenfield

Nina by Traci N. Todd

Someone Builds the Dream by Lisa Wheeler

Tomatoes for Neela by Padma Lakshmi

What's Inside a Flower? by Rachel Ignotofsky



Note: This is a fake booklist being used to help my students practice evaluating information found online. For an accurate list of Grand Canyon Reader nominees, you can find the award website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment