Sunday, July 30, 2023

July Read Harder update

Another month, another update. My ambitious goal was to finish four books: The 1619 Project, Amira & Hamza: The War to Save the Worlds, These Violent Delights, and Flip the Script. Did I do it?

No. No, I did not do it. Still working my way through The 1619 Project. It is not a book you blaze through. I did complete my other three challenge books though (sort of. You'll see.), and I'm working my way through this one.

Amira & Hamza: done. Overall, I liked it. I thought the Big Bad could have been a little bigger and badder, but otherwise, solid middle grade story. It isn't much longer than this, but ICYMI you can read my review of it here.

These Violent Delights, whew. I actually had to sub in Travelers Along the Way by Aminah Mae Safi because, while I am enjoying These Violent Delights, there are some ick elements that badly trigger a phobia I have to the point where just sitting here typing this is making me feel vomit-y. I'm still going to read it, but I have to do so very slowly, so I figured tagging another book in for this challenge, since I already had a few options I had been trying to choose from, was better than just slowly chipping away at it for however long it takes me to get through. Travelers Along the Way, I'm happy to report, did not make me queasy! It was a great read, an interesting spin on Robin Hood and fascinating to read more about the history of that area of the world. (Update: Squeaked finishing These Violent Delights in too! It was solid. Gross, but solid.)

Flip the Script was cute. It took on a serious topic, but overall was an easy read with a nice ending. I enjoyed it! Very hopeful, sweet main characters. Two thumbs up.

📗📘📙

So...August books? (I almost forgot I needed to pick August books. Whew.) Challenges seventeen and eighteen.

#17: Read a YA book by an Indigenous author. In a fun twist, I just got a couple YA books by Indigenous authors to read with my book club! I'll be doubling up and reading A Broken Blade by Melissa Blair for this challenge and with my book club.


#18: Read a comic or graphic novel that features disability representation. I'm picking two for this one - El Deafo by Cece Bell and Just Roll with It by Veronica Agarwal and Lee Durfey-Lavoie. I know the Deaf community doesn't consider Deafness a disability, so I was on the fence about including that one, but I recommend it a lot at school so I want to read it anyway. So...there you go! August books!

No comments:

Post a Comment