Sunday, August 27, 2023

August Read Harder update

August books, here we go! Y'all, I love graphic novel challenges, I tell you what. I read both El Deafo and Just Roll With It (all of Just Roll With It on vacation when I couldn't sleep!), and they were both excellent. I also got to read a bit about how the artwork for Just Roll With It got put together, which was fascinating. Graphic novels, so cool! Woe betide anyone who besmirches graphic novels to me.

As noted, A Broken Blade was doubled up as my book club's August book, so it was basically guaranteed that I was going to finish it on time, although I will admit to cutting it close. It was a great read, though, and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!

I'm still working away at The 1619 Project, too. We'll get there!

πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š

September challenges, already? Maybe this quarter of school will fly by as fast as summer did!

#19: Read a non-fiction book about intersectional feminism - well good golly, how specific. The top result when I was searching for options was We Should All Be Feminists, which I've read...but which also is not super intersectional, given that Ngozi Adichie is anti trans and has spouted some gross TERFy stuff. There are a lot of actually good options, though, and narrowing down to one was harder than I expected! I ended up going with Hood Feminism, since it's been on my TBR for a bit, but this is going to be a topic I need to explore and read about more.


#20: Read a book of poetry by a BIPOC or queer author - I meaaaaaan, in the spirit of the last challenge, why not both? Again, hard to narrow this down to one! Postcolonial Love Poem by Natalie Diaz immediately caught my eye, but so did Butcher by Natasha T. Miller, Black Queer Hoe by Britteney Black Rose Kapri, and Black Girl, Call Home by Jasmine Mans. And Nothing is Okay by Rachel Wiley has roller skates on the cover! How do you say no to that? Honestly, I had to just stop looking at options after a bit or the list of options would have gotten too long to narrow down. Help! I'm just going to start with the first one and try to read as many as I can. Problem avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment