Sunday, September 3, 2023

The Storyteller - Kathryn Williams

Initial Draw: ☆☆☆☆☆
Character Development: ☆☆☆☆
Plot/Writing Style: ☆☆☆☆
Overall: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

From the cover:
"It's not every day you discover you might be related to Anastasia Romanov...or that the tragic princess actually survived her assassination attempt and has been living as the woman you know as Aunt Anna. 

For Jess Morgan, who is growing tired of living her life to please everyone else, discovering her late aunt's diaries shows her she's not the only one struggling to hide who she really is. But was her aunt truly a Russian princess? Or is this some elaborate hoax? 

With the help of a supremely dorky but undeniably cute local college student named Evan, Jess digs into the century-old mystery. But soon Jess realizes there's another, bigger truth waiting to be revealed: Jess Morgan. Because if she's learned anything from Aunt Anna, it's that only you can write your own story."


I tell you what, I've really been diving into books about things I hyperfixated on when I was younger lately. Did I forget I had this one because it ended up at the bottom of a stack of middle grade books I'm planning to read soon instead of somewhere safe with the rest of my library books? Yes. Is that relevant? No. Give me all the Titanic books, all the Romanov books...Bookie Monster needs them! 

This book had a very interesting premise for me. Instead of a historical fiction following Anastasia or theorizing what happened, it's almost present day and one of her grand (great grand?) nieces discovers Anastasia's hidden journals while cleaning out her attic years after she has died. They're written in Russian, so Jess has to hire a translator, and the pair of them end up spending most of their free time trying to unravel the mystery of the journals. Was Jess's Aunt Anna really the long-lost princess Anastasia? And if so, how did she escape the firing squad that killed the rest of her family and end up living in a small town in New Hampshire?

I wish that Jess had been a little closer with Aunt Anna before she died and her secret was subsequently uncovered, instead of barely having a relationship with her prior to discovering her journals, but that's a nitpicky gripe. Other than that, I really enjoyed the way Anna's story unraveled. Such a rollercoaster of discoveries, and my nerdy librarian heart loved all the stones Evan and Jess thought to turn in their quest for the truth. Research...I love it.

As far as the non-Anastasia parts of the story...it was fine. Everything felt a little underdeveloped, which I guess is understandable given that the main focus was on figuring out what was up with Anna's history, but I wish there had been a little more polish applied. Example: Jess has two best friends, and one is periodically brought up and once texts her, but outside of that we never see him. Why include him, then? That was an odd choice to me, and it kind of read like periodically the author went "oops, forgot I had established that she has this other friend, better throw his name in somewhere!"

My biggest gripe is that a big part of the non-Anastasia plot is drama surrounding Jess's boyfriend and best friend (the one who actually IS in the book!) not liking each other, which, fine...but frankly, her boyfriend sucks and is completely unlikable, so the whole time I was just like Jess, girl...dump his ass? It reminded me of movies like How Do You Know, where there's a love triangle and the main character is like oh no, who do I choose, help, this is an impossible decision! Buuuuut one of the love interests is an irredeemable sack of garbage and the other is a shining beacon of how humans should treat each other. Wow, who could ever decide between the two?! I'm begging for just one reason why Jess would actually want to date him.

Complaints aside, it was a solid read. I really liked Katie, Jess's best friend ,and thought Evan was the most adorable goofy polyglot nerd. We only see them once, if I recall correctly, but I also adored Evan's friend group. And honestly, I found the Anastasia storyline strong enough that I think I would have enjoyed this regardless of what happened outside of that. I could not put it down last night - I was playing Among Us with my family and was literally sneaking in paragraphs in the 15-20 seconds between games. Compelling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment