Sunday, December 24, 2023

2023 Read Harder Wrap Up

Can't believe another year is almost in the books. So soon? 

I finally remembered to grab La Borinqueña from my school library to read, and it was very enjoyable! It's the first in a series, and I would love to get my hands on more of them. It was mostly in English but included Spanish here and there, and it was kind of fun to see how much I could understand without having to check on word meaning. I did have to pull out a translator more than once, but I was surprised by how much I knew! All that practice, paying off.

I put a hold on White Smoke at the library, forgot about it, had to put it on hold again, and finally picked it up after school on the last day before break. As noted, horror/thriller, not my jam, so I wasn't exactly eager to get started, but time was ticking. This was described as similar to like a Jordan Peele vibe, and while I have not watched his movies because I know I would get too scared, I figured that kind of take on horror would probably be less scarring for me than like...demons crawling out of TV screens and shit. Happy to report that, while this book will HAUNT me, I think I was right about that. I started it yesterday, couldn't put it down, and stayed up late to finish it. Holy fuck. Tiffany Jackson is an incredible writer - already knew that - but this was another level. Even if you aren't a big fan of the genre, I highly recommend reading White Smoke

Anyway, that's a wrap on the 2023 Read Harder challenge! I'm pretty proud of myself for being on top of it this year, and I'm looking forward to picking out books for next year's challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment