Sunday, December 10, 2023

The Chalice of the Gods - Rick Riordan

Initial Draw: ☆☆☆☆
Character Development: ☆☆☆☆
Plot/Writing Style: ☆☆☆☆
Overall: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

From the cover:

"After saving the world multiple times, Percy Jackson is hoping to have a normal senior year. Unfortunately, the gods aren’t quite done with him. Percy will have to fulfill three quests in order to get the necessary three letters of recommendation from Mount Olympus for college.

The first quest is to help Zeus’s cup-bearer retrieve his goblet before it falls into the wrong hands. Can Percy, Grover, and Annabeth find it in time?"

I have a student who is OBSESSED with Greek mythology, and he tipped me off that this book was coming out, so I grabbed a copy. I didn't look into a synopsis or anything, I just assumed it was one last book to cap off the series for...reasons? And I figured whatever the case, I like Percy Jackson, I like Rick Riordan books, it'll be enjoyable no matter what. And it was! So that's good!

Am I confused at the choice to make it book six in a series that was finished publishing over a decade ago, particularly when the story picks up at a completely new point in Percy's life? I am. Honestly, I assumed it was because it was a one-shot, so tacking it on to the end of the series made more sense than having a standalone book. After reading it, though, it has clearly been set up for at least two additional books so...why not make it a new trilogy? I guess because Percy Jackson and the Letters of Recommendation doesn't have the same ring to it as Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

Whyever they made the decision, that's my biggest gripe with the book. It does nothing to change the book itself, it's just an odd thing I'm curious about. The book itself - great. Same Percy Jackson sense of adventure, some nice action, and lots of Annabeth and Grover to enjoy. There's more time at home than we usually get to see in a middle grade book, which I thought was sweet, and there were some surprising twists in how Percy, Annabeth, and Grover ended up approaching their quest that I really enjoyed. Overall, a very enjoyable read, and I look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment