Sunday, January 7, 2024

Daughter of the Deep - Rick Riordan

Initial Draw: ☆☆☆☆
Character Development: ☆☆☆
☆☆
Plot/Writing Style: ☆☆☆
☆☆
Overall: ⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐

From the cover:
"Ana Dakkar is a freshman at Harding-Pencroft Academy, a five-year high school that graduates the best marine scientists, naval warriors, navigators, and underwater explorers in the world. Ana's parents died while on a scientific expedition two years ago, and the only family's she's got left is her older brother, Dev, also a student at HP. Ana's freshman year culminates with the class's weekend trial at sea, the details of which have been kept secret. She only hopes she has what it'll take to succeed. All her worries are blown out of the water when, on the bus ride to the ship, Ana and her schoolmates witness a terrible tragedy that will change the trajectory of their lives.

But wait, there's more. The professor accompanying them informs Ana that their rival school, Land Institute, and Harding-Pencroft have been fighting a cold war for a hundred and fifty years. Now that cold war has been turned up to a full broil, and the freshman are in danger of becoming fish food. In a race against deadly enemies, Ana will make amazing friends and astounding discoveries about her heritage as she puts her leadership skills to the test for the first time."


I've been waiting to read this standalone (for now, at least?) middle-ish grade fantasy/sci-fi novel inspired by 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea for a while, and I finally got to it. The synopsis is so vague while still being compelling and the reveals were so staggering as I read that I don't want to say a lot about what happens throughout the book and ruin anything...but I need people to know that it's a good read. The relationship between Ana and her friends was delightful, I loved seeing the freshman class work together, and even the twists that I guessed still knocked me on my ass. 

The only thing that made me scratch my head was the decision to make Gemini Twain Mormon. Probably just a blip on the radar for people who don't have any connection to or experience with Mormonism, but for someone who knows how problematic the corporation (sorry, I mean church) is, it seemed like quite a strange choice to make the only featured Black character LDS, given Mormonism's long and storied history of racism. My best guess, since Rick Riordan makes a concerted effort to write inclusive books, is that he wanted to feature a religious character...but I don't know that the best choice in the name of inclusion was to feature a religion that actively discriminates against multiple groups of actually marginalized and excluded people.

Questionable character detail aside, the story was solid - good pace, better characters, and Nautilus and Romeo were two of my favorites. Very interesting idea for a book, and excellent execution.

No comments:

Post a Comment