Sunday, January 28, 2024

Read Harder - January Edition

Starting the year off strong!

Hahaha not really, it took me until halfway through the month to even check out my first book (Pet) from the library. And then it was an ebook, which I'm pretty notorious for forgetting about because I never use my kindle, so it's usually tucked away, often with the battery almost dead. So it took even longer for me to actually start reading it. Once I did...it's not an easy read, but it's also hard to put down, so I finished it very quickly. And good god. It packs a punch, and it teaches an important lesson. I've got a review coming for this one.

For The Aurora Circus, I had a hard time finding it and finally had to fold and buy it on Kindle. TWO ebooks? Excessive. Neither I nor my kindle's battery have the stamina for that. Charged both batteries, though, and got into it, and...eh. I'm about a quarter of the way through, and it is not pulling me in. I had to double check that I hadn't accidentally picked the second book in a series, because we're dropped into the middle of so much unexplained stuff, which is fine, IF you give context as things progress, but that isn't really happening. I'll keep chipping away, maybe it'll get more engaging and I'll finish it, maybe I'll give up and DNF.

Anyway, February picks!

#3 - Read a middle grade horror novel: Oh yay, my favorite genre! Honestly, though, good challenge, because my students are always asking for more scary books, so this will give me some ideas. I'm going with Omega Morales and the Curse of El Cucuy by Laekan Zea Kemp. I don't know if it really counts as horror, but I don't care.

#4 - Read a history book by a BIPOC author: Oh, I have so many options for this on my TBR. After some deliberation, I'm going with Not a Nation of Immigrants: Settler Colonialism, White Supremacy, and a History of Erasure and Exclusion by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment