Sunday, February 25, 2024

Read Harder - February Fun

Breaking news! Sometimes it takes a long time to get books after you order them, leaving you with very little time to actually read them when you're in a short month. I was halfway saved, because after I picked Omega Morales and the Curse of El Cucuy I realized I had received a different book in that series in my subscription box before Owlcrate rudely discontinued their Owlcrate Junior box! So instead of The Curse of El Cucuy, I went with The Legend of La Lechuza...which I continually misread as the legend of La Lechuga. Understandable mistake, but not nearly as fear-inducing. Solid read, though!

Not "A Nation of Immigrants" got to me with like a week of February left, and it's a pretty hefty book, so I'm still working my way through it. Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz is amazing, though, so I know it's all going to be incredible.

Sneaky PS before we move on to next month's picks - I decided to DNF January's The Aurora Circus. There's nothing wrong with it, and I'm sure lots of people love it, but it just wasn't pulling me in, as much as I wanted it to. Gave it about a hundred pages and finally had to admit defeat.

And now, a drumroll please for our March challenges!

🥁🥁🥁

#5 - Read a sci-fi novella: The thing is...I'm going to need people to make more sci-fi specific book lists and fewer "SFF" lists. Science fiction is science fiction. Fantasy is fantasy. Why are we acting like they're the same thing? Anyway, I'm ignoring the "novella" part of this challenge and reading Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. I've wanted to read it forever, so I'm doing it.

#6 - Read a middle grade book with an LGBTQIA main character: Well shit, this is so easy but also so hard to narrow down. I'm embracing not overthinking and going with the one of the first books to be on my radar for this challenge. Nikhil Out Loud by Maulik Pancholy. Make it so.

Oooh, and March means Spring Break means hopefully more reading time, so I'm going to do a third challenge and, fingers crossed, get a little ahead*. I'm saving #7 for April because the book I want doesn't come out until early April, so...

#8 - Read a book in translation from a country you’ve never visited: Wow, a country I've never visited...going to be tricky, that's such a short list. (Get it, because I've only been to two other countries?) I'm out of my depth with this one, so I went with one of the first options I found that grabbed my attention. Abyss by Pilar Quintana.


*Getting ahead subject to availability of my hold on Parable of the Sower at the library. It has a pretty long wait, but sometimes they come in really fast anyway. At the very least, hopefully I'll stay on schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment