Sunday, July 21, 2024

Summer Reading recap

Well...it finally happened. My summer break is coming to a close. And what better way to end the summer than with a recap of all the books I read and maybe some brief thoughts about the ones I didn't review on here? Sounds good to me!

Books I read this summer:

1. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - Well-documented that I love this book. Finished it the first day of break, so I'm counting it.

2. A Fate Worse Than Death by Nisha Patel - So intense, so stark, so real.

3. Abyss by Pilar Quintana - Could not put it down.

4. Debating Darcy by Sayantani DasGupta - Did I review this? If not, I should have. I honestly can't remember. I could check, but I'm tired. Anyway, it was excellent, and I loved the way she kept true to P&P while telling her own story. (I checked, and I DIDN'T review it?! What was I thinking?) 

5. Dragonboy by Megan Reyes - Did review this. Meh.

6. The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle - Love this book, every time I read it I love it more. Listen to the audiobook! It's so good.

7. Bite Me, Royce Taslim by Lauren Ho - Needed something more. The idea was solid, but the main character was deeply unlikeable.

8. The Many Mysteries of the Finkel Family by Sarah Kapit - So sweet, I loved the whole family and thought the story took something innocent and childlike, wanting to be a detective like the character in your favorite book, and spun it in a way that was surprising and deep.

9. Omega Morales and the Curse of El Cucuy by Laekan Zea Kemp - love these books, love these characters. I really enjoy how the whole family is incorporated.

10. Song of the Six Realms by Judy I. Lin - Loved the premise, execution was a tad dull but it was still enjoyable.

11. Gender Queer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe - EXCELLENT.

12. Hey, U Up? (For a Serious Relationship): How to Turn Your Booty Call into Your Emergency Contact by Emily Axford and Brian Murphy - I adore these two, and this was so funny. 

13. A Vicious Game by Melissa Blair - WOW, what a twist! Also, totally thought this was a trilogy, learned at the cliffhanger at the end of this one THAT IT ISN'T?! GAHHHH. Now I have to wait for the next one.

14. The Dream Runners by Shveta Thakrar - Reviewed, great idea with meh execution.

15. Apple: Skin to the Core by Eric Gansworth - So emotional.

16. Disability Visibility (adapted for young readers) by Alice Wong - I read the full version of this and thought it was excellent. This version is also excellent!

17. The Manifestor Prophecy by Angie Thomas - Reviewed, loved it loved it loved it.

18. Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson - ROCKED ME. Review to come.

19. The Bennett Women by Eden Appiah-Kubi - Pretty solid, nice twist on Pride and Prejudice.

20. Escape from Atlantis by Kate O'Hearn - Not at all what I expected, pretty good though. My one big gripe, the same gripe I have with almost every middle grade or children's book that I read, is...you guessed it...THIS BOOK IS TOO LONG! I read it pretty quickly, and I can think of a handful of students who would power through it, but 450 pages for a kid's book is too many pages.

21. Highly Suspicious and Unfairly Cute by Talia Hibbert - Very sweet and adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment