Friday, September 18, 2020

Let's Read about Ruth

Earlier this afternoon, I was contemplating which book I was going to review this week when I got a notification on my phone from Washington Post. I swiped down to see what it was, and my stomach dropped when I read that Ruth Bader Ginsburg, trailblazer and fierce defender of justice, had passed away. Like countless others across the United States, I am feeling heartbroken and defeated. 

Even in moments of hopelessness I am, to my core, a librarian, so I thought maybe compiling a list of recommended reading about this great lady might help me feel the tiniest bit better. After taking a moment to pull ourselves together and contact our representatives reminding them of the precedent set in the last election year to wait until a new president has been elected to nominate a new Justice, let's spend some time being inspired by RBG's tenacity, intelligence, and courage. After all "reading is the key that opens doors to many good things in life."


"I would like to be remembered as someone who used whatever talent she had to do her work to the very best of her ability."

 

Free to Be Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Story of Women and Law by Teri Kanefield tells the story of how Ruth Bader Ginsburg became one of the most powerful and influential women in the United States.


"My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant be your own person, be independent."


My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mary Hartnett, and Wendy W. Williams is Ruth's first book after becoming a Supreme Court Justice. It is a collection of her writings and speeches throughout her life.


"Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. It shouldn't be that women are the exception."


Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik takes a behind-the-scenes look at the life of this feminist pioneer.


"I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others."


Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Life by Jane Sherron De Hart is a comprehensive biography of the experiences that sculpted RBG's advocacy for gender equality and passion for justice.


"People ask me sometimes, when - when do you think it will be enough? When will there be enough women on the court? And my answer is when there are nine."


Sisters in Law: How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World by Linda R. Hirshman tells the story of the first two women to serve on the Supreme Court.


"Real change, enduring change, happens one step at a time."


 The Unstoppable Ruth Bader Ginsburg: American Icon by Antonia Felix is a pictoral retrospective celebrating Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the 25th anniversary of her appointment to the Supreme Court.

 

"I tell law students...if you are going to be a lawyer and just practice your profession, you have a skill...but if you want to be a true professional, you will do something outside yourself...something that makes life a little better for people less fortunate than you."


Rest in power, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Thank you for everything you did for us, and may your memory be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment