Sunday, December 17, 2017

P.S I Like You - Kasie West

My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

From the front cover: "While spacing out in chemistry class, Lily scribbles some of her favorite song lyrics onto her desk. The next day, she finds that someone has continued the lyrics on the desk and added a message to her. Intrigue!

Soon, Lily and her anonymous pen pal are exchanging full-on letters—sharing secrets, recommending bands, and opening up to each other. Lily realizes she’s kind of falling for this letter writer. Only, who is he? As Lily attempts to unravel the mystery and juggle school, friends, crushes, and her crazy family, she discovers that matters of the heart can’t always be spelled out…"


This book has been on my radar for a while now (I feel like I say that a lot...I guess when you're a librarian, lots of books end up on your radar), but I kept putting off reading it because it seemed like there was always another title waiting to be read that captured my attention more. Then I finished an audiobook before the next in my hold queue was available, so I went hunting for an emergency book, and happily, this one was available! 

I loved it. Usually, I listen to my audiobooks on my commute and, at times, while I'm walking Lyra Lickytongue. This book, I finished two days after I got it because I could not stop listening.

The relationships between Lily and her parents/siblings were adorable and sweet, her and her best friend are fantastic, and while there were ups and downs, overall it was an uplifting, delightful read. A lot of writers set up a will they/won't they relationship where two people don't get along and seem to constantly be butting heads, and then **magic!** suddenly everything clicks. Kasie West, on the other hand, really dug into the discord between Lily and her love interest to show that there are two sides to every story, and maybe Lily being the main character didn't necessarily mean that she was right. The development of their relationship was wonderful and so sweet and beautiful to read. It warmed my cold little heart.

The one thing that kind of got to me was all the talk about how crazy her family was with (gasp!) three whole siblings?! Are four kids in a family a lot? I had seven brothers and sisters, so every time she brought up how insane her house was I laughed. Lily, you don't even know. But, look, I'll admit that growing up in a family of eight kids, that may just be a me thing. Normal people probably think four kids is crazy. If you do, then ignore this and read happily. It's a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment