Sunday, December 31, 2017

When I Cast Your Shadow - Sarah Porter

My rating: ⭐⭐

From the cover:

"Dashiell Bohnacker was hell on his family while he was alive. But it’s even worse now that he’s dead…

Ruby. Haunted by her dead brother, unable to let him go, Ruby must figure out whether his nightly appearances in her dreams are the answer to her prayers—or a nightmare come true…

Everett. He’s always been jealous of his dashing older brother. Now Everett must do everything he can to save his twin sister Ruby from Dashiell’s clutches.

Dashiell. Charming, handsome, and manipulative, Dash has run afoul of some very powerful forces in the Land of the Dead. His only bargaining chips are Ruby and Everett. At stake is the very survival of the Bohnacker family, bodies and souls…"

I was kind of on the fence about how to rate this because the genre isn't my favorite. I went back and forth for a bit because did I not like it because it simply wasn't my bag or did I not like it because it wasn't as good as other books? Ultimately, I have read other books in genres that I don't particularly love and enjoyed them, and more specifically I have read books of this genre that I didn't expect to enjoy and did...so I went with the two-star rating. This book had some promise, but I just couldn't get into it. 

My issues with the book. For starters, I am a huge baby when it comes to scary stuff, and this struck zero fear into my heart. It was obviously supposed to have some creep factor to it, but it did nothing for me, and I'm sorry but if it did nothing for me, the person who was terrified out of her mind by Signs, of all movies, then it wasn't scary. Second, the whole premise of what was going on was just so convoluted and weird that I couldn't get into it. Give me something to follow, man. Anything. Finally, there was way too much mention of how incredible and charming and wonderful Dashiell was and what podgy, lumpy, boring assholes Ruby and Ever were in comparison. Hard pass on reading a repeat of that every other chapter for an entire book. We get it. People thought Dashiell was hot and Ruby and Everett don't compare. Move on. 

I know I said finally, but just as a bonus--there was some really weird incestuous shit thrown in, which.......ew. Why? Not the best read ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment