Thursday, March 4, 2021

Throwback Thursday - March 2019

I love reading (I don't know if you could tell), but one of the downsides to reading in high quantities is that sometimes I forget about some of the books I've read. Of course, that means that when a book pops back up on my radar I get to go "ohh yeah, that one was excellent!" and reminisce, so I guess it isn't all bad. My sister suggested I do some flashback posts to highlight older books I've read, so I thought I would start off with some 2019 nostalgia!

So...what was I reading the first week of March two years ago?

Cover images for "Half Lost" by Sally Green and "Ignite the Stars" by Maura Milan

Half Lost is the final book in the Half Bad trilogy, which follows seventeen-year-old witch Nathan Byrn and a group of rebels trying to overthrow England's corrupt Council of White Witches. I thought it was a worthy ending for an amazing series. I gave it five stars, with a warning not to read it right before you have to attend a party (although that shouldn't be a problem right now!)

Ignite the Stars follows criminal mastermind Ia Cocha, scourge of the the Olympus Commonwealth, whom everyone assumes is a man (thanks, patriarchy). What will happen when seventeen-year-old female Ia is captured and her identity revealed? I gave this one three stars overall - it was really captivating for about the first half, then took a bit of a dip before the action picked back up. If I recall correctly, I read this one out loud with my husband, so in fairness if I had read it on my own and been able to read faster, I probably would have bumped it up to four stars.

It kind of tickles me that both books follow seventeen-year-olds at the head of a revolution. Somehow I did not put those pieces together when I was reading them!

No comments:

Post a Comment