Tuesday, April 6, 2021

TBR - National Unicorn Day

So last year, my work squad and I had like...a mind-blowing lineup of programs planned leading up to (and through!) our Summer Reading Program. It was going to be amazing, and I'm not sure if I had ever been happier with my work or more excited for upcoming programming. Looking back, I can't help but feel like my unchecked optimism and enthusiasm may have inadvertently contributed to the shit show that the past year has been? If so, I am very sorry to all of you who have suffered due to my unallowable level of happiness. My optimism and enthusiasm have since then been very thoroughly put in check, I assure you.

Anyway, if you're wondering how this is relevant to a Tuesday Book Recs post, wonder no longer. One of the programs my team had to cancel was a celebration of National Unicorn Day, and I know I wasn't the only person heartbroken at not being able to celebrate such a magical day. When I was brainstorming possible topics for today's post, I realized that National Unicorn Day was approaching once more (it's April 9th, get ready!) and figured hey, I don't have to be working and programming the way I was dreaming of in early 2020 to enjoy National Unicorn Day! I can do it right here, on my blog, with crafts and book ideas. If you'd like to join me in celebrating, I invite you to try one (or all!) of the below craft ideas and maybe check out a picture book or two. 

First, the crafts!

Craft 1: Painted handprint unicorn cards

Photo collage of a hand covered in blue and pink paint, a folded piece of paper with a paint handprint on it changed to look like a unicorn, and the painted handprint with yarn added to create a mane and tail.

I got this idea from theresourcefulmama.com, and I have to acknowledge that the results are much more adorable with tiny hands than with mine, but I worked with what I had. For this craft, I used a sheet of printer paper folded in half, paint and a couple brushes, a blunt needle, yarn, and scissors. I painted my hand with a foam brush, pressed it onto the paper, and then used a smaller brush to add hooves and the unicorn horn. After a little time to dry, I used a blunt needle to poke a few holes in the paper and add yarn for a mane and tail. Super simple, super cute, minimal supplies required - that's a craft win for me!


Craft 2: Origami heart unicorn

Image of folded origami heart decorated to look like a unicorn

Inspiration for this one brought to you by willowday.net! I don't have any origami paper, so I used a full sheet of colored paper for the whole thing. I cut a square out to make an origami heart (there are instructions included on willowday for one version, but I used these instead), and then I used the extra strip of paper to cut out an ear, horn, and hair. You can choose a preferred coloring implement to add some flair, then glue each piece onto the heart, and voila! Unicorn magic. And for any readers who may not be super confident with origami, rest easy - I am terrible at origami, and this was easy peasy. I hope all my friends are prepared to receive origami heart unicorn bookmarks for Christmas.


Craft 3: Felt unicorns

Purple felt unicorn decoration sewn together with white thread

I lured you in with the two simple crafts, and now I'm hitting you with one that takes a little more effort! I got the instructions for this one from thatkidscraftsite.com, and while it takes a little more legwork, it's pretty straightforward. The site includes a template for all the pieces and step-by-step instructions on how to piece everything together, so follow along and enjoy! I joked about making everyone origami heart unicorns for Christmas, but for real...expect these as gifts, because I'm in love. 

Gif of a unicorn walking along a rainbow

And now, the books!

1. Almost Everybody Farts by Marty Kelley - Your grandma farts, your teachers fart, and even magical creatures like unicorns fart...but do moms fart?!

2. Hello, My Name is Octicorn by Kevin Diller and Justin Lowe - Half octopus and half unicorn, Octicorn finds it 100% hard to fit in.

3. How to Catch a Unicorn by Adam Wallace - If you dream of owning a mythical pet of your very own, you need this guide for how to ensnare a unicorn! 

4. I Am a Unicorn! by Michaela Schuett - With a sparkly tail and a beautiful horn, what else could Frog be besides a unicorn?

5. I Love my Llamacorn by Danielle McLean - What do you get when you combine a llama with a unicorn? Your new best friend!

6. Little Unicorn is Angry by Aurelie Chien Chow Chine - Part of a whole series in which Little Unicorn learns to feel and process his emotions.

7. Not Quite Narwhal by Jessie Sima - Kelp grew up in the ocean and always thought he was a narwhal, but when he meets some land narwhals that seem to have a lot in common with him, he starts to wonder if maybe...he just might be a unicorn.

8. Unicorn Club by Suzy Senior - Amy is disappointed when no one comes to her Unicorn Club...but then she returns to her treehouse to discover that it is full of actual unicorns!

9. Unicorns Are Real by Holly Hatam - Learn all the facts about unicorns and how they maintain their sparkle with this colorful, informative unicorn handbook.

10. You Don't Want a Unicorn by Ame Dyckman and Liz Climo - A little boy makes a wish for a unicorn, but when that wish is granted he discovers having a unicorn of your very own might be more than he bargained for.

No comments:

Post a Comment